Main Menu ${}${SEMFirmNameAlt}
Call Us Toll Free at 800-259-1005

How do you report nursing home neglect?

As a resident in Louisiana with aging relatives, you likely rely on a nursing home to help meet the needs of your loved ones. Unfortunately, not all nursing homes are the same, and your loved ones may experience abuse or even neglect. But what do you do once you suspect abuse or neglect is occurring?

Medicare has a list of things to do when reporting nursing home problems, which can include suspicions or abuse or neglect. The first step is to speak with the staff, as they may not even be aware of the fact that a problem exists. However, if you do speak with staff and the problem is not resolved there, then you can make a report to a higher authority. This can include:

  • Social workers
  • Director of nursing
  • The supervisor
  • Your doctor
  • The administrator

In many cases, complaints are resolved at this point. However, that isn't always the case. If your complaint is still left unresolved, you can then follow the facility's grievance procedure to take your complaint to the next level. At this point, family council may be involved. In some cases, official investigations may be launched depending on severity of accusation and the evidence found.

If you believe that your loved one is facing neglect or abuse in their nursing home and that they aren't getting adequate help for it, you may want to consider seeking the help of an attorney. They will be able to help you escalate your complaints until you get the attention you need.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Lundy Lundy Soileau & South, LLP

Main Office: 501 Broad Street Lake Charles, LA 70601 | Phone: 337-439-0707

Mailing Address: PO Box 3010 Lake Charles, LA 70602 | Fax: 337.439.1029